Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am Thankful for my family & our health. For clean water, food, medical care, freedom, technology, shelter, law enforcement, the military, education, art & music and Gods love.

My mind goes to the people in the world without clean water, food, freedom, or education. The kids who are forced to work as laborers, hunters, soldiers and sex slaves. The ones who watch their families die from sickness and violence as their own tummies are also empty and they are sold into slavery. The little girls born into cultures that don't give them equal rights, who treat them as possessions and even mutilate their genitals in the name of purity. The boys who are forced into manhood far too early and told that they are meant to dominate woman and fight against others as they are taught to seek power and lust as their proof of strength and value.

I pray thanks for the freedoms and luxuries we so easily take for granted. And also that we become less numb to the more subtle wrongs in this country such as domestic abuse, animal abuse, corporate greed, political corruption, medias constant pressures on girls regarding sexuality and their body image, the glass ceiling men so deny in the workplace….

As I type I am more and more aware of how much I have been blessed with by the absence of so many of these atrocities in my own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment