Normally I keep my freezer stocked with Greek flat bread (also called pocketless pita). You can get it anywhere, but I have found the best price in a yummy thick soft option at Sam’s Club. They are perfect to pull out of the freezer, toss toppings on & pop in the oven at 400 for personal pizzas on Friday nights. I generally get giant pepperoni from the deli when Boars Head is on sale, it freezes wonderfully as well. (I also use the bread to toast w/ soup, dip in hummus…)
Anyway, since we made traditional pizzas Friday night, I was out of the flat bread Saturday so the photos you see this time are traditional pizza crust (yikes! lucky I found yeast in my fridge!)
Anyway, we made 3 variations this weekend:
PESTO, CARAMELIZED ONIONS, MUSHROOMS & GOAT CHEESE
- Warm a couple Tablespoons of Olive Oil in a non stick pan
- Thinly slice 2 onions
- Put them in the pan on Medium heat & stir from time to time until caramelized
- Add a package of diced mushroom and a package of diced portabella mushrooms
- Cook down a few minutes to reduce juices from mushrooms
You can use store bought PESTO, but if you would like to make your own, here is how I did it, just throw these things in a food processor to make a paste.
- Basil leaves
- Sun dried tomatoes (if I have them)
- Pine nuts or walnuts or pecans
- Olive oil
- Normally I put parmesan in my pesto, but not always if I know I am putting it on pizza that will have cheese as a topping anyway…
- Mix Pesto with a teaspoon or so of balsamic vinegar
- Spread pesto/vinegar mixture onto crust
- Spread the onions & mushrooms that you caramelized evenly over the pizza
- Sprinkle Goat cheese on the pizza (fresh Mozzarella would go well if you don’t like/have Goat Cheese)
- Bake at 400
- (if you have it) garnish with chopped fresh basil
This pizza is great hot, but was also wonderful the next day cold!
Too tired to type the other recipes tonight, so more to come later this week!